Click here for useful websites: mineral
identification chart, rocks and
Go to the site entitled Minerals by
Name (other resources may be used as well)
Each student will be assigned a specific
- Write the chemical formula for the mineral. Using your
knowledge of atomic mass and chemical formulas - explain the mineral's
- List the major uses of the mineral.
- Note how the mineral can be distinguished. (What are the
properties used to decisively identify it)?
- Find techniques useful for validating the mineral
- Find out where it is found (geographically.)
- What are the shapes of the crystals that make up this mineral.
- Describe its physical characteristics:
- crystal habits
- specific gravity
- best field indicators
- special properties
You will need to obtain clear pictures of this mineral. All
references for both images and the content of your presentation must be
documented using the APA format. (Notes on this will be given in
class.) Create a poster on white poster board. It must be
in landscape orientation and 12" by 18" in size.
XC: Choose an addition mineral from those available on Mrs.
Snyder's list. Conduct the same research as you
for your assigned mineral.
XC: There is a class of minerals that "violates" the properties
of minerals given in your text. Present the properties, identify
this class and explain why these are included in the definition of