Lymphatic system and Immunity
1. Students will discern the two primary functions of the lymphatic system and be able to restate their importance in the maintenance of homeostasis in the body.
Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology, Chapter 14, page 241
Cartoon Superhero version
Questions: Select one to
question to conduct research on. Include at least three sources, and be
prepared to present your findings to the class.
1. What mechanism does the AIDS virus use to reduce the immune system's normal response.
2. Investigate the relationship between shingles and the Chicken Pox virus. How does the Chicken Pox vaccine work to prevent the disease. Does it prevent shingles, too?
3. What foods and medicines have a negative impact on the immune system physiology?
4. What limitations to participation in athletic activities result from the loss of the spleen?
|Activity (Complete all
activities. Some will be done in class).
1. Label the primary structures on the diagram in your student workbook on page 243.
2. Complete the crossword puzzle on page 252.
3. Create a graphic organizer (for example a Venn diagram) to show the primary difference between active and passive immunity.
4. Look up the structure, location, and function of your assigned organ. Create a visual display to show how it interacts with other organs of this system. (Spleen, Thymus, Skin)
5. Draw, and explain the structural uniqueness and function of your assigned immune system cell.
6. Build a model of a virus. What makes them successful in getting past the defenses of our immune system?
7. Operation Antibody
8. Coloring Book
|Quiz - the quiz
on the immune system is available until March 31.
1. Code for the quiz on the immune system: MNHN22
2. Quiz two is an online activity that you will use with Operation Antibody. The code for this is GAL8. Take it as many times as you wish, and print your answer sheet with the correct answers.
|Back to the home page.||References
This teacher-developed unit has some interesting references.
Biology Corner slide shows
to the next system!!